F e a t u r e d W a l k
 
T h e H o d d e r W a y
home
HODDER WAY
maps
download hodder way
view route description
local history
accommodation
gallery
about us
newton info board
contact us
 
HODDER AQUEDUCT
aqueduct info
THIRLMERE AQUEDUCT
info
LONGDENDALE AQUEDUCT
Info
HAWESWATER AQUEDUCT
aqueduct info

 

Local History Associated With The Hodder Way

Hammerton Hall

Hammerton Hall is a large three gabled building built with a layout resembling that of a capital letter "E". This was a floor-plan often used in houses built or altered during the 16th or early 17th centuries. The house has been extended to the rear over the centuries and at one time was split into two houses.

This was once the home of the "de Hamerton" family, a wealthy medieval family who are reputed to have been able to ride from Slaidburn to York (approx. 50 miles) on their own land!
This is reflected in the place-names: "Kirk Hammerton" and "Green Hammerton" near York; both villages owned at one time by the family.

Unfortunately, the family lost most of their wealth and power when Sir Stephen de Hamerton joined Abbot Paslew of Whalley in the Pilgrimage of Grace of 1536. This was a protest against Henry VIII's proposed dissolution of the monasteries. Sir Stephen was executed for treason and as a knight was hanged and beheaded in 1537. His neighbour Nicholas Tempest of Catlow, a commoner who had also taken part in the Pilgrimage of Grace, suffered an even worse fate; that of being hanged, drawn and quartered at Tyburn.